Tuesday 26 April 2011

Easter Weekend

I can't believe I baked over the weekend as I had visitors coming for Sunday lunch and I was that busy I forgot to take photographs! Nooooo and guess what? Yes they've all gone! I baked some gorgeous Caramel Cupcakes from the Hummingbird Bakery book, but actually got the recipe from Catherine a colleague, fellow baker, Twitterer and blogger, who found it on the Waterstones website on their members pages.

They turned out really well, but came across what I think is an error with regard to the amount of baking powder. In the recipe it stated 1 tablespoon of baking powder, well no way does that sound right. I contacted my fellow baker Catherine via text, the Pink Whisk, Angel Bakes and Angelcupcakes via Twitter and the general view was that the likelihood was between 1 and 1.5 teaspoons. (Invaluable help from you all - thank you! :-) I actually ended up adding 3 teaspoons and they worked out fine and tasted delicious so they didn't last long. I passed some to my neighbour as samples as she has asked me to do a cupcake display for her and her husband's 30th Wedding Anniversary get together at the end of May. I'm both excited and nervous as I've never done one before although I have baked dozens and dozens of cupcakes my decorating skills need lots of honing. I'm booked on two cupcake decorating courses - one at the beginning of May and one at the end of June, so hopefully the one at the beginning of May will set me on my way!

I also made a traditional Simnel Cake, but instead of putting the 11 marzipan balls on the top, I coloured some paste and made some flower cut outs and leaves to go on the top to try out my new sets of cutters. I was a little disappointed with this cake as it was a little dry, but certainly not inedible - I and my youngest daughter adore fruit cake so that didn't last that long neither. My healthy eating sort of disappeared over the weekend. I'm still to load up the last lot of photos I took of the cake pops I made but will soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment